On Christmas Eve of 2012 a propane stove blew up in a shack in Iquitos, Peru's poorest residential area, Belen, and by the time the fire was contained, three block of housing and businesses had been burnt to the water level, this area, Pueblo Libre, being “the floating district” of the city on the bank of the Amazon River. Christmas Eve, and close to 800 people were suddenly homeless, nowhere to go.
To read the rest of this story, please turn to the following link;
A gentle reminder that my book, An Occasional Walker, is available at the link here:
And here are some reviews and comments on said book: