Sunday, November 04, 2007

National Anthems


If you click here you should be able to get the link to listen to Kate Smith singing "God Bless America."

Go for it. There is hardly anything more beautiful than Kate Smith singing that song.

I can't recall a day gone by in all my twelve years of school back home when we didn't stand up and pledge allegiance to the nation. Every day in school we sang the Star Spangled Banner. I can't vouch for the version there because I don't have speakers connected to this here machine. I had to sing it myself, which you won't want to hear. Ever.

And now I want to turn to a song I think you can feel good enough about if ever you do hear me sing it. I'd like to hear you sing it too. In fact, I think every kid in school in the land and beyond, wherever we might be, everyone of us should be able to rise in the morning and all of us in unison should sing:

I've paid my dues
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes,
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face,
But I've come through.

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
cause we are the champions - of the world -

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls;
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it -
I thank you all -

But it's been no bed of roses,
No pleasure cruise;
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose -

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'cause we are the champions - of the world. *


I do believe singing that song every morning in school should be mandatory for every American. Why?

'Cause: WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS-- OF THE WORLD!

And we should sing it out every day so we all know it for sure, and know that we're not afraid to let the whole world know it too. WE are the champions. It's US. Champions of the world!

*QUEEN: WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
from the album NEWS OF THE WORLD
written by Freddie Mercury
1977

No comments: